Administrator access[dezie ebe o si]
I would love to be an administrator on ig.wikipedia. The admin tools would be useful in order to fight vandalism on ig.wikipedia, improve the main page etc. Blossom Ozurumba (talk) 11:36, 1 Önwa Asáto 2017 (UTC)
I would love to be an administrator on ig.wikipedia. The admin tools would be useful in organizing the page, fight vandalism on ig.wikipedia, improve articles etc. Oby Ezeilo ( Oby Ezeilo (talk) 17:35, 1 Ọnwaìrinàotù 2020 (UTC)
I would love to be an administrator on ig.wikipedia. The admin tools would be useful in correcting certain misspelt words which change the meaning of words in Igbo and hence reduce the interpretation and make the page difficult to use. --Chioma Onyema (talk) 08:46, 6 Ọnwaàsaà 2021 (UTC)
Improving the translation support for the Igbo Wikipedia[dezie ebe o si]
Sorry about not being able to write in Igbo. I hope someone can translate this!
Content translation has been successful in supporting the translation process on many Wikipedia communities, and we want to help additional wikis with potential to grow using translation as part of a new initiative.
Content translation facilitates the creation of Wikipedia articles by translating content from other languages. It has been used already to create more than half a million articles. In addition, the tool provides mechanisms to encourage the creation of good quality content, preventing the publication of lightly edited machine translations. In general, our analysis shows that the translations produced are less likely to be deleted than the articles started from scratch.
Igbo Wikipedia editors have used Content translation to create more than three hundred articles. Given the size of the editing community, we think that there is potential to use translation to create more articles, expand existing ones, and attract new editors that learn how to make productive edits. Translation can help the community to reduce the language gap with other languages and grow the number of editors in a sustainable way. In order to achieve this goal, we want to collaborate with you to make Content translation more visible in the Igbo Wikipedia and support new ways to translate.
As a first step, during the next weeks we plan to enable Content translation by default on the Igbo Wikipedia. That will make it easy for users to discover the tool through several entry points. However, users not interested in translation will still be able to disable it from their preferences.
Please feel free to share any comment in this conversation thread.
Ụmụ nnem na ụmụ nnam, edeyerem akwụkwọ na meta wikipedia ka fa nyem ikike ma ye kwam ego ịji new ruọ oru. Biko kwado nu mu. Ebe ịga afu ya bu na https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/Igboanude/Female_Creators_on_Igbo_Wikipedia --Igboanude (talk) 07:50, 4 Ọnwaàtọ 2021 (UTC)
I applied for a rapid grant to do a wikidata project on Nigerian female producers etc. the link is attached. I seek your advice and support. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/Offordile234/Nigerian_Female_Film_Producers,_Directors_and_Actors_on_Wikidata --Offordile234 (talk) 21:23, 10 Ọnwaàtọ 2021 (UTC)
I applied for a rapid grant to add content and improve existing content in wikidata about Nigerian religious leaders and the churches. I will like your comments and if approved your participation. the link is https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/Chuks_Zilo/Nigerian_Religious_Institutions_on_Wikidata --Chuks Zilo (talk) 20:23, 12 Ọnwaànọ 2021 (UTC)
E debeyerem akwụkwọ ka eyem ego ịji rụọ ọrụ. The link is https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/Obihoja/Permanent_Secretaries_and_Directors_General/Training Please comment and advice. --Obihoja (talk) 11:50, 8 Ọnwaìse 2021 (UTC)
E tiyerem akwụkwọ ka ndị wikipedia yem ego maka ọrụ ịtiye foto na ụda onu nịme Igbo Wiktionary. Biko kwadom. Ebe ntịyere ya bụ na https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/Igboanude/Pictures_and_Voice_Notes_in_Igbo_Wiktionary --Igboanude (talk) 11:03, 12 Ọnwaìse 2021 (UTC)
I applied for a project in wikidata. I will will appreciate your comment and support. the project link is https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/Chuks_Zilo/CEOs_of_Quoted_Companies_in_Nigeria --Chuks Zilo (talk) 13:13, 5 Ọnwa itoolu 2021 (UTC)
Ịma Ọkwa Obodo Maka Ọrụ M[dezie ebe o si]
Ezigbo mmadu niile,
Ọ ga-amasị m ịkọrọ unu niile gbasara Mahadum Federal na Steeti, Polytechnics na Kọleji nke Mmụta na Naịjirịa.
Daalụ maka nkwado gị niile.
Photowalk of Minna, Niger state[dezie ebe o si]
META WIKI INTERFACE TRANSLATION[dezie ebe o si]
I have applied for translation of the meta wiki interface translation for Igbo Wiktionary which is still in the incubator. your contribution and support will be appreciated. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/Obihoja/Igbo_Language_MetaWiki_interface_translation --Obihoja (kwuo) 07:45, 15 Ọnwa iri 2021 (UTC)
Ịma Ọkwa Maka Ọrụ M[dezie ebe o si]
Ndewo onye ọ bụla,
Ọ ga-amasị m ịkọrọ unu niile gbasara Ụmụ Nwanyi ndị Nkuzi na ndị Nchọpụta n'ụlọ Akwụkwọ Mmuta di elu nke Naịjirịa.
Daalụ maka nkwado gị niile.
Deployment of FLORES Machine Translation to Igbo Wikipedia[dezie ebe o si]
Ndewo nụ ndị ọma!
Apologies as this message is not in your native language, Please help translate to your language.
The WMF Language team has added another machine translation (MT) support for the Content Translation in Igbo Wikipedia called FLORES. This means that you can choose to use FLORES machine translation when translating Wikipedia articles to Igbo using the Content Translation tool.
The FLORES Machine Translation service is provided by an AI research team at Meta through a free for use API key that allows the Content Translation to access the service on the FLORES server for an evaluation trial period. This MT is set as optional; in your Wikipedia, which means you can choose not to use it as your preferred initial translator. If you decide to use this service, you can select "FLORES" from the "Initial Translation" dropdown menu where you will find other existing machine translation services on the sidebar.
The Wikimedia Foundation has worked out an agreement that allows the use of FLORES without compromising Wikipedia’s policies about attribution of rights, your privacy as a user, and brand representation. You can find more information about the FLORES Machine translation on this page.
Please note that the use of the FLORES MT is optional. However, we would want your community to:
- use it to improve the quality of the Machine Translation service; and
- provide feedback about its quality and ask any questions you might have about this addition.
We trust that this addition is a good support to the Content Translations tool towards having better quality articles in Igbo Wikipedia.
Making Flores a default Machine Translation for three months in Igbo Wikipedia[dezie ebe o si]
Ndewo nụ ndi nkem!
The WMF Language team would like to make Flores, provided by an AI research team at Meta, the default machine translation support in your Wikipedia Content Translation tool for a test period of 3 months.
The above experiment will help us determine how useful the Machine Translation is for your community more reliably. By setting Flores as the default service, we expect more content to be created by using it and the data about its quality to be more representative. We plan to effect this change on 11th April 2022 unless your community has an objection not to make the FLORES the default Machine translation.
It is okay if individuals decide to select their default service, which would also be helpful to understand user preferences. However, we would encourage you to use it. After three months, we would revert to the initial default machine translation unless your community thinks otherwise.
We thank you for your support and look forward to the outcome of this test.
I have recently applied for a grant on training and competition for senior citizens. it is a proposal to bring in more senior citizens to join the wikipedia family. it will be a training and competion for participating seniors. will appreciate your suggestions.--Igboanude (kwuo) 14:55, 26 Ọnwa ise 2022 (UTC)
Reverting to Google as the default Machine Translation in Igbo Wikipedia[dezie ebe o si]
Ndewo ndi nkem!
Three months ago, the WMF Language team set the Flores Machine Translation (MT) support as the default in your Wikipedia which just ended.
So, we want to revert to the initial default Machine translation support for the Content translation tool in Zulu Wikipedia unless there are objections from your community to retain the Flores as your default MT.
We will wait two weeks for your feedback in this thread on the above, and If there are no objections to reverting to the Google Translate, we will make the Google MT the default translation in your Content translation tool after the 25th of July, 2022.
Thank you so much, and we look forward to your feedback.
- Dear @UOzurumba (WMF) thank you for the update. Speaking for myself and from feedback from other community members, Flores has more accurate translations than Google Translate and we would prefer to keep Flores as default.
- Thank you! Tochiprecious (kwuo) 15:54, 12 Ọnwa asaa 2022 (UTC)
- Thank you @Tochiprecious for the feedback. This means we will not be reverting to Google since the community prefers Flores because it is more accurate. We will leave Flores as the default Machine Translation, while the Google Machine translation will be optional.
- Best regards. UOzurumba (WMF) (kwuo) 19:06, 12 Ọnwa asaa 2022 (UTC)
"Talk page"[dezie ebe o si]
At a translatewiki training on July 30, there was a side discussion about the right word to use for "Talk", "Talk page", "Discussion", etc.
"Talk page" refers to pages on which editors discuss the following things:
- The article—how to write it, what to include, what to exclude, what terminology to use, etc.
- General Wikipedia matters—policies, style, appointing administrators, etc.
- Direct conversations with users ("user talk page").
As a general comment, in English, the words "discussion" and "talk" are used for this, but it's actually the same thing, and can be translated with the same word in Igbo.
The words that I can see here are:
- Mkparita ụka
- Nkpata okà
- Kuwa akíkó
There may also be other words that I haven't noticed.
- Thank you for this recommendation @Amire80. Best, Tochiprecious (kwuo) 14:40, 5 Ọnwa asatọ 2022 (UTC)
Atụmatụ ịgbanwe aha "talk spaces" anyị[dezie ebe o si]
Ndewo ụmụnne! Ọ ga-amasị m ịtụ aro ka anyị gbanwee aha 'talk spaces' n'asụsụ Igbo site na "Okwu" gaa na "Ṅkàtá", n'ihi na ọ dị m ka "Ṅkàtá" na-akọwa ọrụ ya nke ọma karịa 'Okwu'. Ewelitere nke a n'oge usoro nkwado maka Wiktionary Igbo na Wikiquote na Meta. Iji gbanwee nke a, anyị kwesịrị igosi ebe anyị nwere nkwenye maka ngbanwe a, yabụ biko kwupụta echiche gị banyere mgbanwe a n'okpuru - ọ bụrụ na ịnwere nkwenye maka ngbanwe a n'ime izu ole na ole a n'abia, anyị nwere ike ịrịọ ka ha gbanwee ya. Ọ bụrụ na anyị kpebie ịgbanwe aha ndị ahụ, aha ochie nọ ebe a ga-aga n'ihu na-arụ ọrụ na njikọ, mana ọ gaghị abụ aha na-egosipụta na ibe okwu. Mee ka m mara ihe ị chere! Ya gazie! Tochiprecious (kwuo) 15:01, 5 Ọnwa asatọ 2022 (UTC)
- Ọ ga adị ezigbo mkpa ma ha mgbanwe ibe okwu dị na Wikipidia anyị. E kweyere m nke ọma ka e mee mgbanwe a. Olugold (kwuo) 15:12, 5 Ọnwa asatọ 2022 (UTC)
- Ọ di mmá kà anyị gbanwee áhà ndi a. E kwenyere m. Kingsley Nkem (kwuo) 08:35, 6 Ọnwa asatọ 2022 (UTC)
- E kwenyere m na mgbanwe aha a n'ihi na "Nkàta" ka kọwaa ya karịa "okwu. Uzoejinwa (kwuo) 9:22, 6 Ọnwa asatọ 2022 (UTC)
- A nam eche na "Nkàtá" kọwara ihe a na-ekwu maka ya karịa "Okwu". N'ihi nke a, e kwenyere m na mgbanwe a. Timzy D'Great (kwuo) 08:49, 6 Ọnwa asatọ 2022 (UTC)
- Ọ bụ ihe ziri ezi ime ya bụ ḿgbánwè. "Ńkàtá" kasịrị daba adaba nke ọma karịa "Okwu". Ekwenyere m na nke ahụ. Dabere16
(kwuo) 11:02, 6 Satọnafọ 2022 (UTC)
- Ọ dị mma maka "Nkàta" bụ aha ya kpọmkwem ma kakwa wee kọwaa ya nke oma karịa "okwu. Achukwu Onyinye (kwuo) 1:11, 6 Ọnwa asatọ 2022 (UTC)
- This change is a welcome development since it is a known fact that language is dynamic; hence Igbo language is no exception to this dynamism and as such, Nkata captures the content of the discussion. Iwuala Lucy (kwuo) 13:37, 6 Ọnwa asatọ 2022 (UTC)
- Ọ di mmá kà anyị gbanwee áhà ndi a. E kwenyere m na nke a Lebron jay (kwuo) 14:04, 6 Ọnwa asatọ 2022 (UTC)
- E kwenyere m ka a gbanwee áhà a site N'okwụ baa na ńkàtá maka ọ dabara nke ọma. Ekene Amaechi 04:00, 6 Ọnwa asatọ 2022 (UTC)
Usoro ọdide asụsụ Igbo[dezie ebe o si]
Ndakọrịta Udaume (Vowel Harmony)[dezie ebe o si]
Ndakọrịta Udaume bụ usoro iwu odide Igbo wubere na ụdaume Igbo ga-agbaso mgbe eji ha emebe mkpụrụokwu maọbụ ekwu okwu. N'asụsụ Igbo e nwere ụdaume asatọ, Ha bụ a e i ị o ọ u ụ. E kere Ụdaume ndị a ụzọ abụọ . 1) Ụdamfe/Otu A: a ị ọ ụ. Otu A nwere kpọm n'okpuru ha ma ewepụ a 2) Ụdaarọ/Otu E: e i o u. Otu E enweghị kpọm n'okpuru ha Iwu megidere na mgbe ọbụla ụdaume si n'otu nke ọbula na-emebe okwu, mara na mkpụrụokwu ahụ ga ejupụta na ụdaume si n'otu ahụ. Ọmụmaatụ: Okwu ndị si n'Otu A--- Ọgụ (fight) Ụdọ (rope) Azịza (broom) ịgba (Drum)
Okwu ndị si n'Otu E--- Ezi (Pig) Udo (peace) Iko (Cup) Olulu (Pit)
Ede ụdaume na-ada iwu ndakọrịta[dezie ebe o si]
1) Aha mmadụ: Ọbiageli Ijeọma Chigaekwu Chukwuma wee dịrị gawa 2) Okwu ọkpụ: Okwu ndị nna anyị ha na-ekwu ọkpụtọrọkpụ dịka: Ngaji
Omenala Dibịa Ụdaume
Ọ dị mkpa ịghọta iwu ndakọrịta Ụdaume nke ọma iji mata ma ghọta ụfọdụ mgbanwe dị n'ụtọasụsụ Igbo.
STUDY ON WHY WIKIPEDIA IS NOT BEING USED IN NIGERIAN CLASSROOM[dezie ebe o si]
The Igbo Language and Culture Institute has applied for a project to conduct a research on Overcoming Challenges of Introducing Wikipedia in Nigeria Classroom. your suggestions will be appreciated. --Obihoja (kwuo) 10:36, 19 Ọgọọst 2022 (UTC)
The name of this page[dezie ebe o si]
Namespace names[dezie ebe o si]
I spoke to @Oby Ezeilo, and she found many mistakes in the names of namespaces on this wiki.
This problem needs a thorough solution. As a first step, I'd love to know the Igbo Wikipedia's community opinion about several terms. For each of the following terms, there must be one consistent term used everywhere, because all these words are very common and important:
- This must be the translation of the word "special" in "special page". (The word "page" is not needed, only "special".) The current translation is "Ihü kárírí", and it's probably incorrect. Oby Ezeilo's suggestion is "Ọpụrụiche".
- Talk or Discussion
- "Talk pages" or "Discussion pages" are pages where editors have discussions about articles or about other topics. For example, "Talk:Nigeria" is the talk page of the article "Nigeria", and "User talk:Amire80" is the personal talk page of User:Amire80. In English, the words "Talk" and "Discussion" are both used, but it's the same thing, so you can use one word in Igbo. The current translation is "Okwu", and Oby Ezeilo's suggestion is "Ńkàtá".
- A user is anyone who uses the wiki as a reader or an editor. The current word is "Ọbanife". Oby Ezeilo recommends the word "Ojiarụ".
- Files on Wikipedia usually store photos, videos, or documents. The current word is "Usòrò", and it's probably wrong. What should be the correct translation?
- A template is a piece of text or code that can be embedded in other pages. Common examples of templates are infoboxes, citations, tags at the top of the article, etc. The current word is "Àtụ". Is it good?
- Help pages are pages that explain how to use Wikipedia. Some examples of English-language help pages: Help:Recent changes, Help:Table, etc. The current word is "Nkwadọ", and Oby Ezeilo recommends "Enyemaka".
- A category is a group of pages that have a similar topic. For example, the Wikipedia articles about Leymah Gbowee, Andrei Sakharov, and Alva Myrdal all belong to the "Nobel Peace Prize laureates" category in the English Wikipedia, and are automatically listed on that category's page: Category:Nobel Peace Prize laureates. The current word is "Òtù", and Oby Ezeilo recommends "Katigori".
What do other Igbo Wikipedia editors think? How should these words be written in Igbo?
Here's the list again, briefly:
Please reply here.
Once everyone agrees on these terms' translation, it will be possible to write correct translations for all the namespace names.
- Hello Amir, thank you for this question. After so much deliberation in our community, we voted this:
Here's the list,
- Special -Ọpụrụiche
- Talk - Ṅkàtá
- User -Ojiarụ
- File -Faịlụ
- Template -Templeeti
- Help -Enyemaka
- Category - Otú
- I highly support the introduction of these newly translated words. Kingsley Nkem (kwuo) 18:21, 24 Ọktoba 2022 (UTC)
- I Strongly support the use of these terms Tochiprecious listed above. Thanks Olugold (kwuo) 18:22, 24 Ọktoba 2022 (UTC)
- Effecting these changes on the page will make it more understandable to the users. I'm in support of these new developments. Iwuala Lucy (kwuo) 18:03, 24 Ọktoba 2022 (UTC)
- I strongly support these changes as it makes them more understandable. Timzy D'Great (kwuo) 09:06, 25 Ọktoba 2022 (UTC)
Upcoming vote on the revised Enforcement Guidelines for the Universal Code of Conduct[dezie ebe o si]
In mid-January 2023, the Enforcement Guidelines for the Universal Code of Conduct will undergo a second community-wide ratification vote. This follows the March 2022 vote, which resulted in a majority of voters supporting the Enforcement Guidelines. During the vote, participants helped highlight important community concerns. The Board’s Community Affairs Committee requested that these areas of concern be reviewed.
The volunteer-led Revisions Committee worked hard reviewing community input and making changes. They updated areas of concern, such as training and affirmation requirements, privacy and transparency in the process, and readability and translatability of the document itself.
How to vote?
Beginning January 17, 2023, voting will be open. This page on Meta-wiki outlines information on how to vote using SecurePoll.
Who can vote?
The eligibility requirements for this vote are the same as for the Wikimedia Board of Trustees elections. See the voter information page for more details about voter eligibility. If you are an eligible voter, you can use your Wikimedia account to access the voting server.
What happens after the vote?
Votes will be scrutinized by an independent group of volunteers, and the results will be published on Wikimedia-l, the Movement Strategy Forum, Diff and on Meta-wiki. Voters will again be able to vote and share concerns they have about the guidelines. The Board of Trustees will look at the levels of support and concerns raised as they look at how the Enforcement Guidelines should be ratified or developed further.
On behalf of the UCoC Project Team,